Saturday, February 4, 2012

Target - the Hero Dog returns home










I was involved in raising money and getting some dogs out of Iraq when their "tours" were over. It takes a lot of dedicated humans to get one dog back to the States from the war zone. People in other countries all join together donating their time and their money, to get these dogs back to the US. Last year I was involved in the effort to bring a dog named "Target" back to his handler from Iraq. Target, along with 2 other canines on patrol, had saved the Army unit from a suicide attack . 2 dogs and 3 attackers were killed, but Target survived.
It cost over $7,000 to bring him back to the states. Target was given a hero's welcome in NY , when he finally arrived in the USA. Many of us celebrated his safe return to the states! Target was flown to Arizona to be reunited with his handler. He spent part of Thursday night in their back yard. But, someone left the gate open and soon Target was "patrolling" the neighborhood, as he was trained to do. Targets "owner" called the shelter on Friday and was told he was not there.
He looked for him Friday and told authorities that Target was missing. On Sunday, the soldier who was now his owner, was told that Target was at the shelter. He made arrangements to pick him up on Monday am. when the shelter re-opened. Target was "accidently" euthanized at 8am Monday by a part time shelter worker. Accidently dead ?! 
 I have heard of these accidents many times, in shelters all over America. They are common "mistakes". But, this was "Target", our National Hero. "Target", the dog who got ribbons, metals and saved many lives. Yet, Target, the "hero" dog, was dead, like so many others that Monday morning. The victim of a broken shelter system. I could not bring myself to being one more dog back into this country until the shelter system is fixed. I still have that rotten feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about everything that went wrong in the time leading up to Targets death. I did not put the soldiers name in this story because he had already heard from people all over who were very upset about Target. He can not bring him back now either. There will be no more "Targets" for me. I save shelter dogs now, the homeless animals that no one wants. I am waiting for the "Shelter Revolution" before I help bring any more animals into this country. www.ShelterRevolution.Org

No comments:

Post a Comment