Monday, January 30, 2012

Dog chewing on your Carpet ?

  1. This came from a friend who fosters dogs when they first get out of the shelter. She makes sure they get the proper Vetting, and she helps them learn basics like house training and some commands. Then they are ready for a "furever" home .
    dog-inheavenJan 29, 2012 02:53 PM
    What happened  Willie was he begun ripping up all the carpet in my house. I'm lucky as there is only 1100 sq. feet of it. The last pack of foster puppies I had helped me rip it up too. They loved pulling the carpet back. Jeez... what a mess.
  2. Willie WonkaJan 30, 2012 10:06 AM
    It's nice to hear from you. I know fostering those fur babies keeps you very busy !
    I found that sprinkling Cayenne pepper where they are chewing stops it quickly. I also put some on either side of the area they are chewing.
    You can try using double sided tape over the area they are chewing and tell them "NO".

    Double sided tape is helpful when you want to stop a cat form scratching your favorite chair also.

    More comments on my Facebook wall :

    • Chrissa Grant We have a lg open air pen in our kitchen when I catch our little one chewing on the carpet she goes in there for a few min and that will stop her.......... for about and hour LOL Love my babies more then the carpet!



    • Willie Wonka The "Time Out " is also a good idea, but it takes more time. In my case, Jasmine, our shelter baby, ate 2 different area rugs, not cheap ones but hand made tapestries. I wanted her to stop that immediately. Telling her"no." was not working. She would do it when she was left alone. Puppies will chew more but Jazz was over 1 year old when I got her.



    • Celeste Minar Thibault This one is from a carpet layer...if your puppy is chewing on the edges of wall to wall carpet...get down at eye level and check for stray backing fibres...they are shiny and irresistable to small pups looking for fun...clip them away...so only the pile shows...I learned this one the hard way...lol



    • Willie Wonka Thank You - This is a very good suggestion!


2 comments:

  1. you could also throw down a large piece of scrap carpet, often found new in dumpsters behind carpet stores, as a first line of defense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You, Jack. Your work with feral's has taught you a trick or two. Yes,it is often like hitting the "easy button." Place a large remnant over the good carpet and forget about it. Of course, it does not usually add to the appearance of the room.

    ReplyDelete